Brett Veinotte from the
School Sucks Podcast and Jake Desyllas from The Voluntary Life
discuss the process of upgrading and maintaining positive habits.
Topic covered include:
- Habits may seem trivial, but the are the most important part of
a productivity system
- Two approaches to change: slow and steady vs. New Year's
- Triggers for activating habits vs. friction against habits
- How do we do it? morning routine, 7 Weeks (Android app), Jake
uses Way of Life (iOS)
- No matter what else is going on, do the simple things; even
though these seemingly minor habits are the first thing that fall
by the wayside when we're really busy
- Jake: "Habits dramatically reduce the amount of willpower and
brainpower required to get things done. Once you have implemented a
habit and can do it on autopilot, you conserve willpower and
brainpower, helping you get more done."
- Willpower is a scarce resource; it degrades decision to
- Identifying resources beyond willpower
- Jake: "Habits are easiest to adopt when they are simple to
understand, when you minimize any friction at the start of the
action, when there are clear environmental triggers that tell your
unconscious to start the habit, and when you have feedback
(rewards) for completion."